Unit 1430, 10665 Jasper Ave., Edmonton, AB T5J 3S9

«X» Gender Designation

As of August 31, 2017, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is providing interim measures for individuals requesting an “X” in the sex field in their Canadian citizenship and/or immigration document, passport, or other travel document. These interim measures will be available until the Department is able to print an “X” in these documents.

Until the Department is able to print and issue these documents with an “X,” anyone with an existing designation other than female (“F”) or male (“M”) in their identity documents (such as a birth certificate, and/or passport or other travel document issued by another country), must choose either “F” or “M” when applying for an IRCC document.

Read the instructions on how to request an “X” in:

  • Canadian passports and other travel documents, and
  • Any other IRCC document.